Thursday, September 15, 2011

Why is my 2002 Hyundai Sonata keep blowing headlights/fog lights?

About once every 2-3 months I am changing some sort of light bulb on my car. It is either my headlight bulb, fog light bulb, or parking light bulb. About 3 or so weeks ago I replaced my passenger headlight bulb %26amp; drivers fog light bulb. This morning I get in my car and I now have my drivers side headlight out and the drivers side parking light. I love my car and NEVER had any issues other then this since I have owned the car with 89k+ miles and I bought her brand new. It is not under warranty anymore so that is why I am reaching out to my fellow yahooins :-)
Why is my 2002 Hyundai Sonata keep blowing headlights/fog lights?
One thing to consider, may be, that the bulbs you are buying, may be of a higher candle light power. Candle light refers to the intensity of the light, comming from the bulb. This term has been in use, since, the 1920's. The bulb or bulbs you buy, may look the same, but, may be higher in power, causing the wiring to get hot, thereby blowing your headlights. and, or foglamps. I have had this problem, myself. I tried untold numbers of headlights, and, foglamps, with no help, what so ever. Eventually, I had a friend,who, worked at the dealership, and, he told me, that certain items, like headlight bulbs, and, foglamp bulbs, and other special items, have to be bought right from the dealer, cause, these items, are made to fit, and work for your specific vehicle. He told me, that, the ones you buy at like Wal-Mart, and, the like, are no good... They work for a while, then, quit. They are just no good. He said, if they don't have the bulbs at the dealer, you should go to a autoparts store, like Carquest, Napa, Autozone,Advanced Auto, and, the like. Their bulbs are of a better quality, and, tthey last much longer. So, this I did, and, they are still in the vehicle, and, they have been in there, for two years, at least. No bulb will last forever, but, these come close. They cost a little more, but,in the long run, you are saving money, cause you aren't buying new ones, every 2-3 months. It has worked for me. With reguards to your car, you might want to consider looking into your fusebox,cause, somtimes, the more items, you have, on a fuse, can be a bit of a overload on that fuse. Something has to give. It has to either be the fuse, or, the headlight bulb, or, the foglamp bulb. Actually, the fuse should blow, before the headlight, or the foglamp, unless, the fuse for that item, has been replaced with a fuse, of a higher voltage, which, could be trouble. You see, a fuse is designed, to blow, incase of some kind of trouble, in your wiring system. Some people just replace the blown fuse, with one of a higher voltage. A fuse is actually rated, in, amps. Most popular are... 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, and so on. Say, if you have a item, that, takes a 20 amp fuse, and, it blows, most people will just put in a 30 amp fuse, instead. By doing this, they are defeating the purpose. Rather than blowing the fuse, like it should, it allows the current to keep flowing, thereby, starting a fire, in the wiring, cause something is getting too hot. That is what the fuse is for... To stop power to the particular item. It is always best to find out as to exactly what is causing the blown fuse, rather than replace it with one, of a higher amp. Many car fires start out as a fuse, that was of the wrong amp. It is possible, that you may have a shot in your wiring system, as well. You may also want to check your circuit breaker, for the headlights. This may need attention, as well. Good luck, and, I hope I've been of some help to you.
Why is my 2002 Hyundai Sonata keep blowing headlights/fog lights?
I used to own a 2004 Kia Optima. Loved it and would have still had it, but needed a larger car so I traded it in. Anyway, the pre '06 Optimas and Sonatas were %26quot;twins,%26quot; so a lot of the parts were the same. Anyway, my '04 Optima had a similar problem. I replaced more bulbs than I can think of in the couple of years I owned it. Don't know why but annoying as heck. Otherwise, was a great car.
You will have to check for any possible grounded or short in the car's electrical wirings. Check the relays and fuses, a shorted relay most commonly burn out bulbs. One problem would be the car's alternator, charging way up than the required voltage it should charge your batteries. You will require a multi tester to know the exact voltage of your car's electrical system or bring it to an auto electrical shop.
I would find out if there is a short some where in the wiring harness, check fuses thats all i can think of other than a power surge, but your car is about to new for that, good luck
sounds like you have a short in the harness, 10 yrs 100,000 mile warrarty its a hyundai unless you have more than 100,000 miles you didnt say good luck
the light bulbs that they put in cars today are s--t ! Plain and simple.
  • share hotel rental fee
  • streamreader
  •